Wednesday December 20, 2017
Democracy emphasizes individual dignity. The Trump administration does not, using contempt to degrade and humiliate anyone who dares question its actions. A plaque in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington lists the early warning signs of fascism:
1. Powerful and continuing nationalism (America first).
2. Disdain for human rights (imprisoning toddlers in detention centers).
3. Identification of enemies as a unifying cause (Mexicans, Muslims).
4. Supremacy of the military (Special Forces, with expanded budget, now operating in more than 140 countries).
5. Rampant sexism (the president bragged about his exploits).
6. Controlled mass media (list of banned words for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; deletion of Environmental Protection Agency reports; banning reporters from public events).
7. Obsession with national security (travel bans).
8. Religion and government intertwined (overwhelming partisan support from evangelicals).
9. Corporate power protected (Citizens United decision, loss of net neutrality).
10. Labor power suppressed (delegitimizing unions).
11. Disdain for intellectuals and the arts (intellectuals are "effete").
12. Obsession with crime and punishment (Wikipedia says America holds more prisoners per capita than any other advanced country).
13. Rampant cronyism and corruption (Presidential cronies such as Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort hobnobbing with Russian figures).
14. Fraudulent elections (purging voter rolls; tens of thousands of eligible voters disenfranchised by restrictive voter ID laws provoked by spurious claims of voter fraud, according to Brennan Center for Justice).
American democracy stands on a slippery slope, and the president is pushing us downhill.
Trump admnistration pushing U.S. downhill